Touch Experience with Modern Open Source Desktop Environments

In these days, touch screen devices are getting more popularity. There are a variety of devices using touch screens, ranging from mobile phone to huge display boards. 



Latest issue of distrowatch weekly, includes a review of different modern open source desktop environments, considering touch friendly behavior as a major aspect. This review includes different modern desktop environments like Cinnamon 2.6, GNOME 3.16, KDE 4.14, Lumina 0.8.6, LXDE, MATE 1.8.0, Unity 7 and XFCE 4.10.

A little while back one of our readers e-mailed me and asked if I would experiment with the commonly used Linux desktops and report on how well they worked with touch interfaces. This is unusual territory for me. I generally do not like using touch interfaces, though I have worked with them on and off for over a decade. I tend to find navigating by swipes and finger presses cumbersome and unpleasant. I suspect part of the problem is my fingers are somewhat large, the buttons I am aiming at are often small (by comparison) and I dislike seeing finger prints on my screens.
See complete review here.

Share this