Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Stable & Improved, though buggy software center : Review

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is one of the biggest release in the history of distribution so far. Even though it is not bringing any notable new feature, the team has made  a lot efforts to make it stable and clean. Initial reviews shows that efforts made by development team is not wasted.

The hecticgeek portal has published a detailed review of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. In this review, it is observed that, similar to other LTS releases, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is also better than previous  non-LTS releases. It is even better because, some minor security concerns has been addressed in this release. How ever, there is significant rise in memory usage.


When Ubuntu 16.04 LTS was first released, I immediately downloaded it and installed it on the partition that I’ve preserved on my laptop computer which I have used to install the operating systems that I’ve reviewed so far on this website. I’ve used it for the past 4 days now, as my main operating system. I usually use my laptop computer for about 10-12 hours (pretty much continuously) daily. Most of my work is associated with the web browser, but I also use VLC (installed manually) and the file manager (of course) quite extensively. And for creating the graphs for the performance comparisons, I used the LibreOffice Calc.

Ubuntu in general runs quite well on my Dell V131 laptop. Here and there it throws a ‘crash report’ saying something crashed etc. It’s nothing major and these crashes have never affected the OS or the applications that I use on most cases. But, after using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for the past 4 days I must say that I’m really impressed with the performance (which I’ll explain with numbers -- boot times, memory usage etc) and especially the stability of this LTS release. For these four days, I haven’t seen a single application crash report! And a subtle security-wise important issue concerning the screen-lock (which again, I shall explain when I come to it) that has been there for at least 2 older Ubuntu releases (15.10 & 15.04) has also been finally fixed it seems. All in all, it’s a very stable release. So far I’m loving it!
Read complete review in hecitcgeek's portal.

Share this