TED interview with Linux Torvalds : The mind behind Linux

Linus Torvalds is the person who came with the idea of Linux kernel in the beginning of 90s. It was just a hobby for him at that moment, later Linux kernel project has grown by the contribution of 1000s of developers across the earth. Now it is one of the biggest existing open source project. Another contribution of Linus is Git - An innovative version controlling system (VCS).

The TED portal has published an interview of Linus Torvalds with TED's Curator Chris Anderson. In this rare interview Torvalds shares his motivation for doing such great things.


Linus Torvalds transformed technology twice — first with the Linux kernel, which helps power the Internet, and again with Git, the source code management system used by developers worldwide. In a rare interview with TED Curator Chris Anderson, Torvalds discusses with remarkable openness the personality traits that prompted his unique philosophy of work, engineering and life. "I am not a visionary, I'm an engineer," Torvalds says. "I'm perfectly happy with all the people who are walking around and just staring at the clouds ... but I'm looking at the ground, and I want to fix the pothole that's right in front of me before I fall in."
See video in TED portal

Share this